Monday, June 23, 2014

Cluster 14 CER

Create
Making strawberry milk
If I were using the strategy of direct instruction I would break my students up into groups and read them the directions listed below.
  • Begin by getting a milk container, strawberry syrup, glass and spoon.
  • Place items on the counter
  • Open milk container
  • Open strawberry syrup
  • Lift milk container up and pour milk into glass about 75% to the top of the glass
  • Place milk container back onto the counter
  • Lift syrup container in your left hand and lift a spoon in the right hand
  • Place spoon over the mouth of the glass
  • Pour syrup onto the spoon
  • Place syrup back onto the counter
  • Place the spoon with syrup into glass and stir until incorporated into the milk
  • Remove spoon from glass and place it back onto the counter
  • Serve
If I was using the problem solving perspective I would give my students the materials to make the strawberry milk and tell them to break up into groups and figure out how to make it on their own.

Evaluate 
I would want to teach students to add or subtract. To engage them I would have them do it using their bodies.
Start teaching first graders about adding and subtracting by acting out equations with them. After gathering students together, invite three to come up and stand beside you. Ask for a volunteer to tell you how many students you are starting with and write that number on the board or chart paper. Next, ask two more students to join them and write "2" on the board or chart paper. Then ask the class how many students there are altogether and write that number as well. You can then encourage volunteers to help you fill in the "+" and "=" signs on the equations.
Repeating this activity until all students have had a chance to be a part of the equation and fill in the appropriate numbers and signs on the chart or board will help them make a concrete connection between actual numbers and addition equations. You can do the same activity when you begin teaching subtraction.


Read more here

Review 
For my journal reflection I would reflect on my teaching techniques. I would write down the lesson I taught that day, record how I taught it and what I used to teach it, and then record how many students were able to comprehend it how many questions were asked and then finally if I feel like my technique was effective





No comments:

Post a Comment